Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Welcome!

Welcome to your online discussion of The Hate U Give!


Together with members of your book group, you’ll be reading The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas over the next several weeks. Although you're not required to take notes while you read, it would be wise to keep track of important events and characters for your own clarification. You are, however, expected to participate regularly and thoughtfully in an online discussion of FOUR essential questions. 

Here's how it works:

Divide your book roughly into thirds. You need to have read and blogged about each third by the due dates below.

There are two kinds of posts in this discussion: response and comment.

Response = direct response to the essential questions
Comment = comment on someone else’s posted response or comment

Post at least TWO responses for each third of your book (SIX overall).
You must respond at least once to each of the essential questions over the course of your reading. One of your six responses can be a “free-response" post.
           
Post at least TWO comments for each section of your book (SIX overall).

Due dates: 
  • Post your first set of responses and comments by Friday, May 17 (Red 3), and Monday, May 20 (Blue 1).
  • Post your second set of responses and comments by Thursday, May 30 (Red 3), and Friday, May 31 (Blue 1).
  • Post your third set of responses and comments by Friday, June 7 (Red 3), and Monday, June 10 (Blue 1).


Essential Questions: 
  1. How does prejudice affect the lives of young people growing up?
  2. How and why are people prejudiced?
  3. How are justice & courage related?
  4. In what ways does this book refute the notion of the “single story”? 
** Free-response option: Address another issue/episode/or passage in the book that you find  significant for any reason.

Assessment: 
To earn maximum credit, post thoughtful responses that are at least a few sentences in length—and carefully proofread! Do not misspell characters' or authors’ names! Also, be sure to include specific references to the text (either details or short quotations). Page numbers, too, are always helpful.

35 comments:

  1. Hello, my name's Chris, from Red 3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm Maggie. I'm really enjoying the book so far and I look forward to reading all of your opinions and observations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm Harrison

    ReplyDelete
  4. On Page 92/93, I saw from Starr's point of view. (This is where Brenda visits the hospital, and begins showing emotion for Khalil's death.) What would this woman want with the son she had, and wasn't there for? Why show emotions towards him after he's gone, instead of being with him, and having a reason to show emotion? But, as her mother explained, I slowly realized.. Addict or not, your son is still your son. I see the coming-of-age moments in this book. What did you guys think of this moment?? I personally found it heart breaking, and reread it a few times when I figured out I was in the wrong..
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that too... I think it's safe to say she also felt a lot of guilt and regret after his death which is understandable.
      -Maggie

      Delete
    2. Very understandable, especially as an addict, along with a Mother. She seemed to almost find a bigger personality out of Khalil's death than she did with the stuff she sold, as she made that trip to the hospital and found everyone.
      -Chris
      (Not sure if any of it made sense, ask me for a further explanation if you need one!)

      Delete
  5. Although a seemingly small detail, a trend I keep seeing is the authors use of 3s. Most notably, the gunshots in both Natasha and Khalils deaths come in 3s. There are also other, much smaller instances such as the basketball game being 3 on 3 or Starrs past and current friend groups. I can say with certainty I could pick out a pattern of 3 in every chapter of this book so far.
    I question weather or not it is to represent the trio (Khalil, Starr, Natasha) or if they are just another instance of this pattern?
    Let me know what you guys think! Did you notice it too?
    -Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maggie — I actually didn't notice this pattern at first, but this is an interesting observation. I wonder if the author did this on purpose. Could it hint at something that happens later in the book? Maybe the number three represents an underlying theme or symbol in the story. Let me know if you see more repetitions of this throughout the book.

      - Harrison

      Delete
    2. Keep up the great discussions!

      Delete
    3. I also noticed that both Khalil and Mavrick are patted down 3 times by the police. When Mavrick is confronted by the police after having a discussion with the owner of another store Starr points out that he is patted down 3 times just like Khalil.

      Delete
  6. In what ways does this book refute the notion of the “single story”?

    This story refutes the idea if a “single story” by providing the reader with two contrasting accounts of Khalil’s death. First, the author presents the situation from Starr’s point of view, then follows up with the version spun to the press and public. After being pulled over by a cop on the way back from a spring break party, Starr witnessed the murder of an innocent, unarmed black man at the hands of a white police officer. However, local newspapers print the story of a (suspected) drug dealer and gang member shot down by officers. This shows just how different two stories of the same event can be.

    - Harrison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great observation! I've also noticed that about officer Cruz (115). We really haven't gotten much directly from him which I find odd seeing as he's the one who shot Khalil. All we really have of his account is given through his father. Let me know what you think.

      Delete
  7. On how justice and courage are related

    Starr is repeatedly told she is brave. However, she doesn't believe this for a second saying how a truly brave person wouldn't be shaking. However, I think she is brave because she wants justice and she's brave because she is using her voice to get it. Courage and justice are related because courage often leads to justice. When someone has the courage to speak out against an injustice it is far more likely that that injustice will be addressed and brought to justice.
    This is just a thought but let me know what you guys think!
    -Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, seeing as 'Brave' noticeably receptive word in "The Hate U Give". There are many points in which she tells the Author herself, she doesn't see herself as brave. But, there are also many points that she, as a Character, grows from her bravery. The injustice with Khalil, when she spoke to the police, and more. I found this an interesting statement, though, Maggie, that I didn't know I agreed with until I reread it.
      -Chris

      Delete
  8. The quick description of the book states that-
    "Starr Carter's world is shattered when she is the only witness to the fatal shooting of her unarmed best friend, Khalil, by a police officer. Now what Starr says could destroy her community. It could also get her killed."
    Is that evidence to prove that Starr could be in danger further on? Maybe she is now, and we haven't noticed? I would also like to bring up when King offered Starr and her Sister (Kenya) some Money, and Starr had refused. After Starr refused, and King kept on her about it, Starr's father had told King to keep his money and hands to himself, mentioning Seven. Does that mean the King Lords will be after them, if King mentions something? I have many questions for this book, but I know that they will be answered soon. Do you guys have any big questions about the book you'd like answered?
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. I think this means Starr is going to be targeted, either by police or gang-members, who try to hurt her. Could Starr do something to upset the King Lords? Does Starr end up getting shot or killed because of a bad decision? I'm excited to see how this story plays out.

      - Harrison

      Delete
  9. How and why are people prejudiced?

    I think the polices' prejudice originates from the Jim Crow era. Many people believe negative stereotypes of African-Americans, even unintentionally, and these stereotypes can sometimes affect people's in-the-moment decisions. Although the police who shot Khalil may not have intended to shoot hime solely because of his skin color, it is clear that Khalil was unarmed, and did not pose a threat to the police. In addition, the police identified Khalil as a suspected gang-member and drug dealer, without having proof of that at the time. I suspect the polices' preconceived notions about black Americans could have had something to do with the fact they thought he was affiliated with drugs or gangs in the first place.

    - Harrison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting point. I think you're right about their preconceived notions about black America is valid but I don't think that was the only reason they assumed his gang affiliation.

      Officer Cruzes dad said that he loved working in the black community of Garden heights so it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that he had seen Khalil around before. It's also important to note that Garden heights itself is well known for it's drug and gang problems so it would make sense that officer Cruz assumed he could have some affiliation with those things.

      -Maggie

      Delete
    2. I'm trying to defend officer Cruz in any way, just wanted to bring those points to the table.

      Delete
    3. This is also a valid point. Aside from perceived racial stereotypes, it could also be important to think about the context of the shooting. As you said, Garden Heights was well-known for gang violence and drug problems beforehand, which could have been at least part of the reason One-Fifteen saw Khalil as a possible threat. Like you pointed out, it's even possible one of the police officers had encountered Khalil in the past, and already knew about his involvement with gangs.

      Delete
    4. These are exactly the conversations I hoped you'd have. What I like about this is that though you two may disagree, you're doing so in a very respectful and polite way. You're also considering things from someone else's perspective.

      I like that you you bring up the opposition, Maggie, and that you make some educated guesses about what happens in Garden Heights.

      Harrison, you're absolutely right that context is vital to our understanding of a situation. When things are taken out of context you run the risk of misleading someone.

      Delete
  10. While reading I've noticed that every character in the story has there own individual subplot that is touched on at least once. The way the story is written every character interaction has meaning and while this is common in most books, this instance stands out to me. We are introduced to a lot of different characters and for each of them we see some level of depth that gives them significance in our minds. Even the quickest of conversations puts their personality on display.

    I see a lot of importance in this because it clearly shows the level of diversity in all aspects portrayed in this book. Every reader has someone they can relate to wether it's with general aspects of their personality or something to do with their life.

    I just wanted to share this observation with you because I think it gives a new light to the story.
    -Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a good observation. It really emphasizes that each character comes from a different family and background, which explains the characters' different lifestyles. For example, Starr grew up in a low-class, mostly-black neighborhood with generally more violence and drugs than some of her classmates. Her close friend was shot dead by a police officer in front of her eyes. In contrast, many of Starr's friends from Williamson live in wealthier, white neighborhoods with lower crime rates. Even two people at the same school can live very different lives.

      Delete
  11. How does prejudice affect the lives of young people growing up?

    On pages 168-169, Starr's father explains Tupac's idea that African-Americans live in a prejudiced system that's working against them. Blacks were historically segregated, which results in many of them living poorer areas, often with much less opportunity. As he explains it, "Corporate America don't bring jobs to our communities." In the end, some people turn to drug-deals to make enough money to get by, but people who use drugs are left unable to afford rehab. As a result, both drug-dealers and drug-users are sent to prison, which he calls "another billion-dollar industry," referencing the privatization of American prisons. Prejudice affects young people by robbing them of opportunities in education and entering the workforce, which commonly bring about other side effects later on in life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How are justice & courage related?

    Justice can be usually be achieved with enough determination and patience, however it requires people to step up and make themselves heard. In The Hate U Give, Starr is initially very secretive about her encounter with the police and Khalil's death. She doesn't have the courage to open up about what really happened, and as a result the press depicts Khalil as a drug-dealer and gang member who was apprehended and shot by police. However, after she starts to realize she has a voice and an obligation to open up about the murder, Starr starts an anonymous Tumblr for Khalil. Her courage allows her to fight for Khalil's justice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How are justice and courage related?

    I think that if you want justice then your gonna need courage to stand up for what you want and what you believe. In The Hate U Give, Starr wants justice for Khalil's death but the only way for her to get that is if she has the courage to talk to the police and tell them what happened and not have the officers put words in her mouth. and she did do that she talked to the police and told them exactly on what happened, and when they were trying to blame Khalil for the offer shooting Khalil she didn't let them put words in her mouth and she told them the truth. So Starr had the courage to speak up and get justice for Khalil.

    -Jayden

    ReplyDelete
  14. How does prejudice affect the lives of young people growing up?

    I think that it affects young people growing up because they see it everyday in different ways, they grow up seeing people differently and being more careful on what they do and who they talk to and how they talk. Just like Starr in The Hate U Give, when she was a young kid she saw one of her very good friends get killed for no reason and that must of made her see some people differently. Also she would be around a lot of judgie people that would make her feel uncomfortable so she would act different so that they wouldn't think she's like the others. So I definitely think that it affects young people that are growing up because it differently affected Starr.

    -Jayden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that prejudice affects young people in different ways. People hopefully start to start understanding each other in the end, instead of judging them. I think it's interesting that you brought up how Starr acts differently around different people — I hadn't thought about that relating to prejudice. People's prejudices of her definitely prompted her to change her behavior and personality towards them.

      - Harrison

      Delete
  15. How are justice and courage related?

    Justice doesn't always happen but I think if you fight hard enough, show a lot of courage and stay patient it can happen. In the book Starrs uncle wanted her to talk to the police but she was scared considering a police officer is the reason Khalil died. She didn't have a lot of courage, but she hated the way people were talking about Khalil and how he was "just a drug dealer" I think hearing so many people talk bad about Khalil is what made Starr to make a tumbler account for Khalil, she finally got courage so she could fight for Khalil so he could be remembered as more then just what the news papers made him sound.

    -Lexi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree — once Starr realized what people were saying about Khalil, she was prompted to do something about it. I think this is the same reason she spoke up at the riot. Starr wanted to keep resisting, and keep fighting for justice. This connects to the quote I put in my response to this question, "Brave doesn't mean you're not scared. It means you go on even though you're scared." Starr decided to be brave, not by pretending not to be scared, but by persevering and working for a cause.

      - Harrison

      Delete
  16. How does prejudice affect the lives of young people growing up?

    Pre-justice is a big problem I think it affects lots of people but mainly teenagers because they are around it the most. I think young people see a lot of things they probably don't want to see or experience until they are older like when Starr is just having a good time with her friend and he gets killed probably all because of his race and then if his death wasn’t hard enough on his friends and family, he then gets called a drug dealer by people that are supposed to be part of his community and support him.

    -Lexi

    ReplyDelete
  17. How are justice & courage related?

    As the story progresses, Starr gains courage and opens up more about Khalil. She agrees to go on TV for an interview about the shooting, telling her own side of the story of Khalil's death. Later, she sits before the grand jury, hoping to convince them One-Fifteen was guilty. Even after it's decided that the officer is guilty, Starr continues to fight for justice. As her mother says, "Brave doesn't mean you're not scared. It means you go on even though you're scared." Starr's persistence lands her on TV and in the news, and although One-Fifteen is never convicted, she makes a big step towards justice by helping reshape how people think about police brutality.

    - Harrison

    ReplyDelete
  18. How does prejudice affect the lives of young people growing up?

    Prejudice affects young people by interfering with their relationships and social lives. One-Fifteen's prejudice against Khalil resulted in his death, and caused an uproar among Garden Heights. Hailey's prejudice of Maya and Starr pulled them apart, and essentially destroyed their friendship. However, the groups that were stereotyped and treated unfairly seemed to stick together afterwards. Khalil's death brought GD's and King Lords closer together than they had been before when protesting. Starr and Maya even formed a "minority" alliance so they would stick together. In the story, prejudice separated minorities from the majority, but also brought minorities together as allies.

    - Harrison

    ReplyDelete